Saturday 10 April 2010

Book Fifteen.

Title: Stormbreaker
Author: Anthony Horowitz
Summary: When his guardian dies in suspicious circumstances, fourteen-year-old Alex Rider finds his world turned upside down. Within days he's gone from schoolboy to superspy. Forcibly recruited into MI6, Alex has to take part in gruelling SAS training exercises; then, arme with his own special set of secret gadgets, he's off on his first mission. But Alex soon finds himself in mortal danger. It looks as if his first assignment may well be his last ...
Genre: Adventure/Action
Time Started: 7th April, 10:10pm.
Time Ended: 9th April, 11:35pm.
Page Count:  236
Age Rating: 11+
Warning: Violence
Appeal Rating: 9/10


This book, in the words of Mr Sayle, is bliddy amazing. Not entirely sure how he came up with bliddy, but there we go. Although some parts were quite childish, and I had to laugh and roll my eyes at them, it was overall a fantastic book. I'm not usually keen on action books, because the authors try to describe everything in minute detail and you don't get the snap-snap-snap action that you get in movies, where everything happens so fast it makes you head spin. Anthony Horowitz makes that happen. He gives it the snap-snap-snap. He doesn't worry about detail when Alex is sandwiched between two Jeeps and only just manages to escape. He just tells it as it is, giving us a quick-pace read. I love that he's able to do that.

I don't have a particular "favourite" character, but I like Mr. Grin in a sort of "You interest me..." way. He's interesting, but he kind of freaks me out, and my mental image of him is enough to give anyone nightmares. And I like Yassen Gregorovich; he's a mystery ... polite but evil. Hey, why do I ALWAYS like the bad guys? They always die in the end, don't they? Well ... Yassen didn't die ... but there's, like, seven or eight books, so he'll probably end up dying eventually. Eh, well, anyway ... I like Yassen.

Alex: "You're not going to shoot me, too?"
Yassen: "Do I have any need to?"

And I love how he's so calm and responsible, too. It's really intriguing.

"You killed Ian Rider," Alex said. "He was my uncle."
Yassen shrugged. "I kill a lot of people."
"One day I'll kill you."
"A lot of people have tried." Yassen smiled. "Believe me," he said. "it would be better if we didn't meet again. Go back to school. Go back to your life. And the next time they ask you, say no. Killing is for grown-ups and you're still a child."

Anyway, enough with complimenting the bad guys... Good book; definitely recommended. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment