Sunday 5 September 2010

Book Forty-One

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Summary: You can't stop the future, you can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret ... is to press play. Clay Jensen returns home to find a strange package with his name on it. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes rrecorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and first love - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice explains there are thirteen reasons why she killed herself. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. All through the night, Clay keeps listening - and what he discovers changes his life ... Forever.
Genre: Angst/Drama
Time Started: 31st August, time unknown.
Time Ended: 5th September, 11:45pm
Page Count: 288
Age Rating: 13+
Warning: Talk of suicide, mention of rape and sex.
Appeal Rating: 10/10.

Before I say anything about the actual book, I'm listening to Hannah's tapes here, and it's kind of freaky. If you want to listen to them, go to last page so you can start from the beginning.

Now, onto the book. It's so amazing. A favourite, most definitely. It's such a moving book, and anyone who reads this and doesn't at least get tears in their eyes at some point is heartless. Because the tapes are deep and so emotional, even Clay cries. I don't know about anyone else, but I was so anxious as Clay listened to the tapes, as if my name were to pop up (I was anxious about Clay's name, actually, but anyone would think I expected mine).

I love the format of this book, too. It's really imaginative and original, and that's an instant thumbs up from me. This story is so real and so unbelievably touching, it really is fantastic. And it's late (I turned the laptop on as soon as I finished, so I could tell you about it), so I really can't think of anything to say.

I definitely reccommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment