Thursday 12 August 2010

Book Thirty-Nine

Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Summary: Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificent, adventurous Margo Roth Speigelman from afar. So when she opens his bedroom window late one night and summons him to join her on an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows. After their all-nighter ends and a knew day breaks, Q arrives at school to find that Margo has not. Always an enigma, she now becomes a mystery and Q soon learns that there are clues to be followed in his search for Margo.
Genre: Adventure/Mystery
Time Started: 9th August, time unknown
Time Ended: 10th August, time unknown.
Page Count: 305 
Age Rating: 13+
Warning: Profanity, talk of sex/genitalia
Appeal Rating: 9/10.

This book is so amazing. I had high expectations, and Paper Towns beat them. The characterisation is fantastic, the friendship between Quentin/Ben/Radar/Lacey/etc. is so believable, and I lost count of the amount of times I literally laughed out loud at this book. But as funny and witty as it was, it really made me think. Margo's clues are really complex, and honestly, I wouldn't have gotten half as close to Margo as Quentin managed -- even if I had friends helping me.

The road trip was awesome. Most authors would skip over it, or touch on it lightly, because road trips can be quite boring ... but John Green made it amusing, kept our interest from beginning to end (well, that goes for the whole book, not just the road trip). When Ben started complaining about needing to pee, 'Peeing In A Bottle' by Armoured Bearcub started playing (I was listening to my phone-come-MP4). That was so freaky.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Paper Towns. Definitely recommended.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, just discovered your blog, it seems like a really cool idea :) Am now following!
    And I loved this book, it literally made me laugh out loud. xx

    ReplyDelete