Friday 5 March 2010

Book Five.

Title: PS, I Love You
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Summary: Childhood sweethearts, they could finish each other's sentences and even when they fought, they laughed. No one could imagine Holly and Gerry without each other. Until the unthinkable happens. Gerry's death devastates Holly. But as her 30th birthday looms, Gerry comes back to her. He's left her a bundle of notes, gently guiding Holly into her new life, each note signed with 'PS, I Love You'. As the notes are gradually opened, and as the year unfolds, Holly is both cheered up and challenged. The man who knows her better than anyone sets out to teach her that life goes on. With some help from her friends, and her noisy and loving family, Holly finds herself laughing, crying, singing, dancing - and being braver than ever before.
Genre: Romance/Tragedy
Time Started: 6th January, 3:00pm.
Time Ended: 7th January, 1:00pm.
Page Count: 375
Age Rating: 13+
Warning: Swearing, suggestive mentions of "adult activity".
Appeal Rating: 9/10.

It was very enjoyable, very deep, and very imaginative. I really enjoyed reading it. I can't say, no matter how much I want to, that it perfectly portrays the struggles of a grieving widow, as I've never been married, nor have I lost someone close to me. And, I know that each situation is different, depending on the people involved. However, I liked how Holly was portrayed.

Ciara reminded me of Nymphadora Tonks from Harry Potter; and Richard reminded me of Percy in Harry Potter - but only at the beginning, because in the end, he changed dramatically and I instantly wanted to reach out and give him a big hug. Maybe it's just because I'm in love with the HP series, but I definitely noticed a connection, whether accidental or not - I don't care, either way, Ahern gets a thumbs up. I loved the way all of the characters were created; they were all different and hilarious in their own ways. Audrey, for example, was annoyingly amusing with her strict ways. And Ciara made me crack up with her witty, excited personality and wacky style.

It was, overall, an amazing book. I most certainly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment