Wednesday 12 May 2010

Book Eighteen.

Title: Eagle Strike
Author: Anthony Horowitz
Summary: Relaxing in the South of France reluctant MI6 agent Alex Rider is finally able to feel like any ordinary  fourteen-year-old - until a sudden, ruthless attack on his hosts plunges him back into a world of violence and mystery. And this time, MI6 don't want to know. Alex is determined to track down his friends' attackers, even if he must do it alone. But it's a path that leads to a long-buried secret - and a discovery more terrible than anything he could have imagined.
Genre: Adventure/Action
Time Started: 18th April, 8:25am
Time Ended: 11th May, 11:28pm.
Page Count: 329
Age Rating: 11+
Warning: Violence
Appeal Rating: 9/10

I was close to tears by the end of this book. It is, by far, the most dramatic book yet. Although school started up and I didn't touch it for ages, I really did enjoy it. I read just under half of it last night. Horowitz creates such amazing characters with wonderful backgrounds, and you can tell by the way the books connect that he had the entire series planned out before he put pen to paper. He didn't write the first book, ponder for a few months over the next one, and write it. You can tell he planned them all beforehand, creating backgrounds and pasts for the characters.

I've said this before, but this time I truly mean it from the bottom of my heart ... I love Yassen. I don't care if he's a ruthless contract killer. I love him. He's such an amazing character, and although I already knew about Alex's dad (I kind of accidentally read one of the blurbs for the later books in the series because they were in the wrong order on my shelf ... and I had my suspicions from the first chapter of Eagle Strike - the prologue bit xD), hearing it from Yassen himself just chokes me up. In fact, whenever I think of this quote, I want to cry: "In a way, I loved him. I love you too, Alex. You are so very much like him. I'm glad that you're here with me now." And then, naturally, I wanted to cry even more to the event that happened after that, which I don't want to ruin for you. Sniffle.

And even after that upsetting penultimate chapter, the next one was also filled with a lot of grief. Sabina left for San Fransisco! We all knew it was going to happen eventually, that Sabina would get a taste of Alex's world and run for the hills, but it's not fair. They were so cute together.

Through all that, though, through all the times I got tears in my eyes, I never actually cried. Weird, eh?

And now, Alex is going to go off to find Scorpia, like Yassen told him to.
It might be a little eensie while before I continue reading the series, because I'm working my way through a  manga series at the moment (blame my friend, Allie xD). However, saying that, I've finished the second book and have to spend the rest of the evening book-less, so I'll probably start Scorpia tonight and not finish it for ages. Heh. Now, I need to write up the other reviewy thingies for the manga... Roar. Oh, and also, I'm reading 'Storm Catchers' by Tim Bowler in school with my group of six, so once we've finished that, I'll be adding that to the list. Sorry. Rambling.

Definitely, definitely, definitely recommended. Love you, Yassen.

No comments:

Post a Comment